Matrix is a somewhat private protocol for instant messaging. The main point is the usage of end to end encryption by default.
Learn more about matrix.
Our own server
There is a diverse bunch of servers to pick from. I recommend looking at joinmatrix.org.
If you’d like to use my homeserver as your own simply register with the following:
- homeserver-url: norrland.xyz
The rules are here to set a baseline for what’s okay. Use common sense and you should be fine.
- You are not entitled to use our service for spamming, harassment, phishing, scamming or in any way grief the experience of other users.
- No sharing, promotion or discussing of illegal sexual material.
- No illegal sharing of copyrighted material.
- You may in no way disrupt the uptime of the homeserver or plot to gain unauthorized access to any account or data.
- You are NOT entitled to this service. I run this on my free time, and don’t have time for drama.
The important part is: I have access to all your metadata. That means: ip address, rooms you are active in, who you start rooms with etc. If you are not okay with that, start your own server.